Description

...

Washington, DC: Hunger in America Day 4

Posted on: Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Day Four: Tuesday May 21. On Tuesday we visited Bread for the World, a faith-based, hunger fighting organization. I was surprised by how comfortable and excited I felt at Bread. I never know what to expect from faith organizations, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Most helpful to us, we received some training and tips on how to go about our advocacy efforts on Capitol Hill the next day, and we were updated on the latest news about the current Farm Bill. One of my favorite quotes from LaMarco Cable was, "there will always be poor people, but poor people don't have to be hungry." Also, did you know it only takes seven letters on an issue before congressmen and women start a file and taking note on that issue? Afterwards we had the rest of the day free (I needed a break and so I returned to the church to write and rest) until meeting for dinner at Founding Farmers (pun!), a farm-inspired American restaurant right in DC. The atmosphere- quirky, fun, and snazzy. The food- amazing! I had the craziest looking deconstructed salad, and I think we all ended up trying everyone's deseserts. :) And as you tend to do in DC, we passed by the White House on our walk back to the church, where I snapped I think my favorite shot of the building from the whole trip. In the evening we met as a group to discuss our plan of attack for our day on the Hill, and I prepared to offer a counterpoint should the opportunity and occasion arise (it did not, but I wrote it in a letter instead).
 this is random, but I liked this pie truck outside of the metro in Chinatown
LaMarco Cable, Deputy Director
my first ever beignets 
the Constitution was housed over there! 
 Dwight D. Eisenhower building- an extension of the White House

Day 1 & 2
Day 3

- From the desk of Mrs. M

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

from the desk All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger